117Newman, Conor. Tara: An Archaeological Survey. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy for the Discovery Programme, 1997, pp. 148-50.

T.J. Westropp wrote in 1894 that, "The hollow from which the pillar was removed is apparent on [the Mound of the Hostage's] summit." (Murphy, Denis, and Thomas J. Westropp. "Notes on the Antiquities of Tara (Teamhair na Rig)." The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, vol. 4, no. 3, 1894, p. 241.)

Eugene Conwell, in 1836, conducted an informal (and unauthorized) "excavation" of the Lia Fáil , and reported, "On the top of the pillar,vwhich is rounded off, can still be traced the remains of four cup-like hollows, in their present appearance rudely dug into the stone. Other portions of the pillar also afford evidences of similar cup-like hollows." (Conwell, Eugene A., "On the Lia Fail on Tara Hill." Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy (1836-1869), vol. 9 (1864 - 1866), pp. 539-540.)