18McGowan, Joe. Inishmurray: Gale, Stone, and Fire : Portrait of a Fabled Island. Mullaghmore, Co. Sligo: Aeolus, 1998. 14.
The author suggest that the Abbey of Staad, in Streedagh, on the mainland across from Inishmurray, may have housed the monks from the island in 1588.
Harbison cited as evidence for the island monastery's transferal to the mainland, "perhaps after the Norse raid but certainly by the 13th century," the fact that an abbey at Aughris was known as Insula Mury until the 15th century. (Harbison, Peter. Pilgrimage in Ireland: the Monuments and the People. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse Univ., 1992. 100.)