11Hencken, H. O'Neill. "A Long Cairn at Creevykeel, Co. Sligo." The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 2 (1939): 56.
The authors described the two (destroyed) tombs near Creevykeel: "Two hundred metres N.E. there remained recently enough to be marked on the same [6-inch Ordnance Survey map of Sligo, Sheet 3] Ordnance sheet another 'Giant's Grave,' but this has now been removed. Six hundred metres W.S.W. is shown a third 'Giant's Grave,' now represented by traces of a mound and two upright stones."
In 1888 Wood-Martin may have described what occurred with one of these tombs; "Near the village of Cliffoney, and in the townland of Creevykeel, the remains of another 'Giant's Grave' presents no feature of interest; it is, in all probability, merely a small portion of a more extensive arrangement of cists. No inducement could prevail on the tenant to make an excavation; he and his father before him, he stated, refused to do so, although 'untold gold' had been offered. However, some few days afterwards, having occasion to verify the compass bearings, a return to the spot was needful, when it became evident that in the interval the grave had been dug out to the depth of four or five feet. In short, the suspicious yokel, imagining that the contemplated search was for a 'crock of goold [sic],' had determine to retain the treasure for himself. The debris thrown out by the would-be gold digger was carefully sifted, but nothing was found save numerous fragments of charcoal, no trace of bones being apparent. A man who was with the treasure-seeker during a portion of his excavation, stated that the floor of the cist was flagged, and on it rested a thick layer of charcoal, but nothing else. The flagstones that had formed the flooring were pointed out; one of them bore a cup pattern: this specimen was 20 inches in length by 14 inches in breadth, and 2.5 inches in thickness; but being too heavy to carry off with comfort at the time, it was unfortunately left behind, and the next day, when sought for, it had disappeared, and cannot since be traced." (Wood-Martin, W.G., The Rude Stone Monuments of Ireland: Co. Sligo and Achill Island. Dublin: Hodges, Figges and Co., 1888. 150-51.)